Thursday 24 September 2015

They're my Friends and Family!

The easy step of boarding the plane towards my new adventure
Getting on a plane to come to Mauritius was fairly easy, compared to the fear I was having of not making friends during my time studying abroad.

Making new friends will be one of the most beautiful and eyeopening experiences you will go through when studying abroad.
It was for me, after I got over my social awkwardnes.

The amount of new people you meet and their subcultures will all at once be baffling and magical and you will become more open to the world as this pushes you to overlook many of your differences. It's going to be a new culture, there's will be differences, appreciate them and learn about them.

I was never socially outgoing growing up. Turns out I'm the introvert who needs a little push. Starting conversions was usually one of the most difficult tasks I could ever face. Continuing one was a lot worse. I would play the words in my head for a few minutes wondering what exactly I was supposed to say in that instant, at which point it would have gotten a little bit too awkward. I remember relying on my little cousin, she's two years younger than me, to make conversations so I wouldn't have to go through such a painfully awkward situation of giving one word answers while everyone looked at me expecting to hear more. She was a natural.

And I wasn't.

But my worrying was unnecessary. The other students at my new school were truly open and welcoming; a sea of warm, eager faces. I realised that they too were starting a new journey, moving from high school to university. They also didn't know many people and were open to broadening their horizons.

New Friends
On that very first day of orientation many friendships were formed, and today we still acknowledge each others in the hallways an even, get to work together in class.

From that day forth, I've been meeting new people, even outside of school. And as time goes by, it becomes easier to interact, even if sometimes I'm confused about whether to use English, Creole or French.  Now I end up mixing the three though, but there's more English and Creole in it than French.

It's not just the fellow students that you meet that become important along this journey. Studying at uni, especially abroad has given a new perspective on the relationship between lecturers and students.

I've made the acquaintance of great lecturer's, particularly one wonderful lady who is very close to us, her students. I love how she manages to establish a relationship based on trust because she is ready to relate to us as university students, based upon her own previous experiences as a student. She particularly cares for international students, having been one herself sometime back.

I can definitely say that the people you meet on such a journey are surely going to add value to your experience. Lucky me, not only did I get to become friends with delightful people from Mauritius, I also got to meet those from my country as well. Yes, we have our own little Seychellois family. Big smile!

The Seychellois Family

I met a nice group of girls after my arrival in Mauritius who were staying in the same apartment building as I was. They were an essential part of my life as an 'international student', despite being a year ahead of me.

New addition to the family
Once I got to know them, I don't remember day when I would come home from school and not knock on the door of apartment number 5, to tell them about my school days and anything that was bothering me, literally anything!
 
There's even this little tradition among us
of handing down knowledge of where to eat, shop and visit to generations to come, which I now pass on to new members of the family.

They are my friends, my family.

However, if you're still a little unsure about making friends during your student sejours, you can always follow tips from different sites. Some work!

2 comments:

  1. Meeting new people and discovering how amazing some of them may be is probably the best part of studying abroad. You're discovering new cultures at the same time and create special bonds with them at the same time. Lovely post as always Nancy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angelique. You're right the experience is so beautiful. It doesn't matter if you're shy at first or outgoing, cause when you open yourself up to the experience and embrace these wonderful things, it will be the best time of your life with special bonds created that will last.

      Delete