Monday 7 September 2015

A story I've wanted to share for a while now

It was the first Saturday after the New Year of 2013. My friends and I met for the first time since we'd last for our a-level exams. We hadn't seen each other in while so we'd decided to have a picnic and reminisce about all the memories we'd created together. It was yet another moment being added to our repertoire of memories.
 


© My friends from back home and I taking a group photo
 There's a moment I remember quite well; we all huddled together for a group photo as we always did. "Our journey begins! Life after the a-levels!" we shouted on queue as if we'd practiced this line before coming, lifting our hands to the air.

"To whatever happens after all this! May we always cherish the memories we make from now on."
Of course we didn't know what was in store for us. We had no idea where we would be or what we would be doing, even in a few days from then.

Two weeks later, our A-level results were announced and that brought me here: To my life as an international student. The moment I was enrolled to study in Mauritius a frenzy was set in motion with little moments that I believe are worth saving, both the good and the bad.


This topic is of a personal interest to me. It's such an intense experience filled with many discoveries that I want to share with you. I've had this identity for two years now, and I can say that through my various experiences, I've made the most of it. 

There's been such a great transition during these few years.  I've made friends from Mauritius and well as many from Seychelles who were studying before me. I've been through many challenging days and euphoric ones. This journey has not been solely about broadening my textbook intelligence but making the most of this life in every way to discover myself.

There isn't a perfect handbook to detail the experience of being an international student. I'd wished for it! Others have wished for it too. I believe there never will be as, not all experiences are the same.

I wish to share with you my unique experience, in the hopes that some of you will find little things that you can relate to. Or, that you will all learn about what it is like for me as an international student.

4 comments:

  1. Great that you want to share your experience with us and I think its better not to have any textbook or guidelines. Live your international student life as you wish. Im waiting for your other posts to know more about your experience and the challenges you faced. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following my blog. And yes, defnitely making the most of this experience and want to share it with others. There are more posts to come.

      Delete
  2. Yey.. Currently an international student myself I'm looking forward to the "Now I know I'm not the only one" moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Nice to know I have an international student following blog. I hope you've found some interesting things so far. There will definitely be more little moments to come. :)

      Delete