Friday 9 October 2015

Manze, Manze, Manze and more Manze!

*Manze = Food

I won't lie and say that I was diving headfirst into the pool of dishes that there is on the island.
I was a little skeptical of food that I hadn't seen or heard of before and I kept missing my white rice and beef stew, grilled chicken/fish, fried fish and my "bouyon bred".

Ah, once I was over my attachment to the things I was comfortable with I discovered a whole other world that I know for sure I will miss when I go back home.

While studying abroad, you will come across a lot of local vendors selling things that you must try at least once. No matter how unfamiliar and sometimes 'unappetising' the food looks. Maybe they will taste bad and you'll regret ever trying it (but at least you did) or the dish will wow you to the extent that you will find yourself becoming a usual customer to a small vendor.

Here are a few of the dishes that I like and I want to share with you.

Roti

A Delicious Roti
This one I was all for trying! Technically I'd eaten a version of it before, which I also happen to make
 on occasions: chapati. 
Though I prefer to take it without the sauces (they say I'm strange that way), it is still wonderful. If you ever happen to study in Mauritius you need to try this at least once! Though I know you will want more.

 

 

Pain Kebab

This is definitely something I will miss when I go back home! Before I came to Mauritius, my friends would talk about this bread with meat and salad all the time. Yet, I tried not to get my hopes up to high though, because you know what happens when you're looking forward to something right?
Well, it really didn't matter cause now if I could eat this every day, I would! It really didn't disappoint.

 

Mine Bouille


Mine Bouille from Blond Boullette

With this one, I came a long way. It was finally curiosity coupled with a little push from a friend that got me to try it and now I love it. Yes, love it. Even crave it sometimes when I go back home.





 

 

Boulettes

Dry 'Boulettes' from Blond Bloulettes
Although we have this back home, it is not prepared in the same fashion. In Seychelles we fry the 'Boulettes' while in Mauritius they consume it in a soup. It took me two years to muster up the courage to try this one, and it is still a work in progress. Though I've found that the fish one is really good. If you happen to be in Mauritius one day and want to try it to see if you like it better than I do, stop by Blond Boulette in Quatres Bornes. There are other wonderful dishes on the menu as well!


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post, it's all about culture exploration, where we explore , new traditions and different values... A magical experience I would say. Thanks you for encouraging others to study abroad and especially to Study in Mauritius. Thanks you for sharing your experience and allowing others to discover the advantages of studying abroad. where i'm sure you will come out more and more mature. (y) keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anais. It is indeed magical whereby you get to discover new tastes and how this experience allows you to grow. I hope I've inspired you to undertake this journey as well.

      Delete
  2. You can ask your Mauritian friends for the recipes of your favorite Mauritian food or search for them online. Thus, you can prepare those delicious meal on your own when you are back home and share the Mauritian food culture with your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anouchka. Thanks for reading the post. I will make some of those dishes and I can't wait to share with my family.

      Delete